We are a small squash club located in the South Norfolk village of Loddon.
Loddon Squash Club welcomes players of all abilities to come along to enjoy themselves and get fit in the process. We have one court, viewing gallery and full changing facilities.
HISTORY OF LODDON SQUASH CLUB
In 1929, Mr Christopher Cadge had built, in the grounds of his parent’s house (known as Bank House but later to become Farthing Green House) a squash court at a cost of £500.
Initially it had a composition floor. Soon afterwards a suspended maple floor was added resulting in a step up into the court and the various court lines on the walls having to be blacked out and repainted higher up the walls. The court was lit by 6 screw fitting 150 watt light bulbs. This lighting was only just adequate as the walls were a light grey colour rather than white.
There was a splendid bath with a copper gas geyser to heat the water in the changing room on the left of the entrance door. Water was supplied from a large holding tank in the gallery into which all roof water was directed. The court remained unchanged until the 1960’s.
After the Second World War a structural crack appeared in the south west corner of the building. It was alleged to have occurred as a result of a bomb being dropped not too far away.
The court was used by friends of the Cadge family and by boys from Langley School. In the early 1960’s David Potter, then of Loddon Engineering, arranged for fluorescent tube lighting to be installed in the court. Subsequently David Potter called a meeting of people who were using the court. They decided to form a Club with the blessing of Mr Michael Cadge who was then Chairman of the Norfolk Squash Rackets Club.
Since then the court has been managed by the Club, resulting over the years in many improvements to the court. The court is believed to be the oldest one in Norfolk which has been in continuous use since 1929.
In 2014 the club took the decision to become a Charitable Incorporated Organisation, which would allow it to enter into a lease with Mr Cadge and secure funding for the planned improvements to the club. This resulted in the building getting a new insulated roof and separate changing rooms for the first time. In 2020, LED lighting was added to the court.